Sunday, January 30, 2011

Having a Mental Disorder---What is it Like to Be "Normal"???


   Everyone has their ups and downs, good days and bad days, experience the normal stress of everyday life. We all like to have a good cry now and then and there are times when we all feel lonely.
   But some people have it a little harder than that. For some, it is a battle to go to the grocery market or walk down the street, go to a job, even answer the phone. Some people have panic attacks, hear voices that are not real, are so depressed that they cannot even get out of bed. For some people it gets so hard to live that they try to take their own life and many times succeed... Some of us are obsessive over washing their hands, many times so compulsively that they bleed. Some people become so manic that they stay up for days feeling compelled to work on various projects, many times frantically moving from one to the other without ever finishing any of them.
    I come from a place of experience on this matter, as I was diagnosed with depression and began psychotropic medication by age twelve. Since then, I have been diagnosed with everything from bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, bulimia, anorexia, and depression. I have been placed on so many medications, more than I can even count. Trying to cope with these disorders and everyday life has been a struggle for me. Some years have been easier than others, but it has definitely been an uphill battle.
   There needs to be more awareness on the issue of mental disorders, I am just trying to bring this poignant issue ti light. There are probably more people suffering from some form of a mental disorder than you know. It is not like a cancer patient where you can see that they are going through chemotherapy because they lose their hair. This is something that cannot be seen just by looking at a person. And many people affected by a mental disorder can handle themselves pretty well in public. Hey, Robin Williams is bipolar and he uses it to his advantage. Look at some of his comedy skits and you can see how manic he is!
    So for those of you whom are not affected by a mental disorder, consider yourselves lucky! But just be aware that many of those around you may be troubled in some form or another. Most of the time, these disorders are genetic, some of them aren't that intense or disruptive to one's daily life.
   I just wanted to promote awareness on this issue, as I believe everyone should just be informed and aware. if you know someone who is suffering and not being treated, encourage them to seek out help. Support is available. Therapy and medication can be very effective at treating these disorders. And for anyone suffering who doesn't feel "normal", don't worry, no one is really "normal" out there... What is "normal", anyway???

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this ally. It is so rare to find someone who understands what it is like. The constant struggle of trying to get the right meds. The constant panic I get just from leaving my room or to simply walk outside. Sometimes my voices can be so loud that I actually think there is someone in the room with me. Its aweful. Whats even more messed up is that they are comforting as well. Especially when I am lonely. And that is pretty much every day since I quit using drugs. But yeah, I guess in a way it is a gift because they actually do comfort me and keep me company. But thanks for bringing this all into light. I agree that awareness should be increased and there should be treatment for those who can not afford it, like me. It is so rare to find someone that knows what I am going through, why it is so hard just to hold down a job, to just go out and be around people. Thank you. This one was extremely comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome honey, and I hope this makes some kind of a difference, even if it is small...

    ReplyDelete