Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Is A.A. and N.A. a Cult?

   Is Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous a cult? Well, there are so many mixed views. I, for one, have not yet decided my position on this matter in question...

   In both congregations they say that you need to surrender to a higher power, a "god of your understanding". Although in  A.A., they recite the Lord's Prayer, which is a Christian-based prayer. A little hypocritical, don't you think? Now in N.A., they just recite the Serenity Prayer at the end. I have no problem with that. I am not overly excited about organized religions---although I am a devoutly and open-minded spiritual individual.

   I have recently been trying to do "90 in 90", an expression that means ninety meetings in ninety days. I am attempting this because I think it is the right thing to do, seeing as I have problems with chemical dependency and all other attempts have failed. I do have social anxiety though, which has made it circumstantially harder for me than most. However, I keep going and try to become a stronger person as a result of it.

    The A.A. crowd seems to be more "old-school" and a little self-righteous, while the N.A. crowd tends to be more open and younger. I consider myself to be an addict and an alcoholic, so I have been attending both sects.

   I still don't know how I feel about these meetings as a whole. They do read off of the same pamphlets which are passed out at every meeting, almost as though drilling it into one's head. It kind of reminds me of a Catholic mass. On the other hand, there is strength in numbers, and it does help to hear other people's stories and have their unquestioned and unconditional support.

   So are these fellowships a hoax? A cult? I would have to say I am "on the fence" on this issue. Maybe if I continue attending these meetings, I will get a better grasp on my own personal opinions. But as of now, I will just keep "making meetings" because hey, "meeting makers make it"...

No comments:

Post a Comment