Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Sweetest Simplest Life

I'd like to talk about the "good life". What I think of as the "good life" and what others think may very well be two different things. Most people are constantly working towards gaining more money and possessions, a higher status, more degrees, more fame, etc. In my opinion, this type of living is just a huge waste of time. I'm not saying be dirt-poor and without an education, I'm just saying remember what's really important. Don't get swept away with the 9-5 rat race and "keeping up with the Jones'". Don't spend most of your day sitting in front of a television, computer, or video game. Remember the outdoors? Nature? Where we came from in the first place. We came from the earth. Families used to play games and eat dinner together. Most of the time on our drives to and from work or the market we don't even appreciate the beautiful sky or mountain ranges. We spend our lives existing on automatic "robotic" mode. Peel back the film off your eyes so you can truly see! We need to enjoy every moment--every color, sound, touch, smell, taste,etc. Play with your children, tell them you love them. Spend time just holding your lover, tell them you love them, actually listen to what they have to say. Take time out of your hectic schedule to meditate, go for a nature walk, enjoy the sunset... These material things, this monetary gain that we are never satisfied with---we are not going to take these things with us when we die. But we are going to take our souls with us. So lets try to work on becoming better people--more compassionate, empathetic, humble, innocent, giving, and appreciative. Days turn into months turn into years and then we look back and wonder where all that time went, we were too busy and oblivious to really experience it. We have been given this gift of life! Treat it as such. Don't just live, truly be ALIVE!!! Take joy in the simple things, every minute of every day, then you can look back with a feeling of fulfillment in knowing you lived the sweetest, simplest life...

1 comment:

  1. I too unfortunately am guilty of having goals that end up in money. I hate to say it, but I am obsessed with it, I just wanna support my family and my friends, that would be so lovely if I could take their financial troubles away. But yeah, money is so evil sometimes, it really does feel like I am worshiping an evil god of sorts, the pull it has on me is breathtaking. And I am very guilty of constantly sitting in front of the computer too much. Although like I said during our conversation, I do try to get out at least an hour or two a day, cuz it drives me nuts if I stay inside too much, I get all kooky. I love nature sooo much, I miss it terribly. I am constantly reminiscing on the days I grew up in Pennsylvania, surrounded by the lovely green forest.

    Heres one of my poems about the Fall and its effect it has on me, enjoy:

    “Child of Autumn {2001}”

    Summer's vestige slips into senility.
    Fraught with life in dying leaves,
    twitch branches of rushing red beneath my skin.
    A crimson torrent flows of spirit fluently--
    In maps under my flesh, the Fall begins.

    The Summer ends…

    Concluding the viscous atmospheric clouds of Hades.
    Pollen's in shadows, present day,
    and now our mother's heart seeps not from her skin,
    for now, the decay,
    the Fall begins.

    Dancing, animistic passion is revealed in trees
    clasping to the wind's sovereignty.
    Standing amid this zealous display,
    my eyes flirt seared from tremulous serenity.
    I inhale electric air. Its bracing chill mingles with my adrenaline.
    My skin solicits and pines for sensation in the waltz
    of this feral and transcendent season.
    I breathe the essence of utopian life
    (come charged impelled electricity).
    Stunned at all, a muse-full sight.
    Lie hallowed by this eternally.
    The Fall begins.

    ReplyDelete