Friday, December 17, 2010

No Family For The Holidays???


   The holiday season can be a difficult time for many people. Suicide rates tend to go up and there is an increased amount of stress amongst most. Besides all  the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping, the deadline on getting Christmas cards sent out, and the dilemma of what to cook for Christmas dinner, there is an even increased amount of stress and depression for those who don't have any family.
   For some of us, our family is literally deceased, but for many of us, we are just estranged from our family for some reason or another. At a time of the year where family values and togetherness are really important and valued, it can leave many of us feeling empty and alone.
   Now I do have a saying that I hold deep to my heart that has aided me very well in my own life, and that is that when we are children, we are born into a family. We didn't ask for the people that we got or the hands that we were dealt, but nonetheless this is what we got. When we come of age and are an adult ourselves, we have the choice to "create" our own family. And by family, I mean the people who we chose to surround ourselves with, who we are close to and who love and support us like a family should.
   I am speaking as someone who has never been close with my family at all. Ever. With both of my parent's working in the mental health profession, their focus was mainly on their jobs, their "caseloads" more important than their own daughter and their attention focused on how to make even more money and ultimately achieve a higher "status". I always wished that I could wave a magic wand in front of their face showing them that these things are not really what is important in life.
   I can't think of anything that is more important than love and loving family and friends. Even though it is rare that I will ever receive a card or a phone call from them, I consistently reach out to them I refuse to stoop down to their level of non-acknowledgement. I will continue to reach out until the day that I die. Why you may ask? Just because it is THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
   Now that I have a young son, I have my own little family. Plus all of the other good people in my life whom I do consider to be "family" to me as well. The holidays can be tough, but really just like anything else, it is what you choose to make of it!!! Things can only bring you down if you let them. I choose happiness over despair, fulfillment over emptiness, joy over loneliness...
   So for those of us who don't have any or many "true" family, remember that you can always create your own and we all have the ability to have a wonderful holiday season!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

1 comment:

  1. This was very sweet and true. I also believe that we make our own family. To me, family doesn't have anything to do with blood relation, it has everything to do with love and acceptance and respect. I have some friends that i would consider more my family than my actual family. So i know what you mean. You have a wonderful holiday as well, aly.

    ReplyDelete